Thursday, December 12, 2013

Wherein I Don't Study Calculus

I should be studying right now. But, clearly, I'm not. For whatever reason (drinking coffee at 10pm), my mind is ON. As in, thinking about a great many distinctly non-Calculus related things. I'm particularly fighting an urge to go find a few dozen new fonts.

Also, I'm thinking a lot about the subject of tonight's Intervarsity (on campus Christian group) meeting. Prayer. Thankfulness. God. And this post from Linny over at A Place Called Simplicity. By the way, if you have never read her blog - you need to. This woman has taught me so much over the years. You have no idea.

But about the message. I'm kind of in a mind blown state over the magnitude of God and His plans. Really, we should probably all be in this state of mind all the time, except if we even began to truly comprehend Him, we would probably beyond functioning. He is just so overwhelmingly...GOD.

Life has not always been smooth, and I know I will encounter rough patches in the future. The sort of things that from my perspective just seem purely bad. But from God's point of view, amazing things come from the dark spots. When I reflect on my life, I am so glad I listened to God when I did, and gave in to plans that were not at all what I thought was good for me. Surely, if you look at your life, you will see the ways in which God worked His God-ness and made your life turn out better than you could have dreamed. Isn't he incredible that way?

Just thinking about the physical size of the universe - how are huge planet is really smaller than a speck compared to the entirety of it all - even that doesn't begin to touch on God's magnitude. Not only can we go infinitely big, but we can go infinitely smaller. And God made all of that. He is God enough to think of everything and plan out everything and create every single rule of how the world works. This calculus stuff I'm hoping I understand enough for the final? He invented how that works. I'm so glad He is God, and I'm not. I can't even imagine that disaster....

Now, this post is a lot shorter than normal, and maybe not so profound. A bit more stream-of-consciousness style than I already write. But these thoughts are swirling in my head, and I wanted to get them out.

And now, as much as I don't particularly want to. I definitely need to get back to studying Riemann Sums. Until next time, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment